I've Got A New Home!

This blog has been moved to http://traceyjean.blogspot.com.
Please update your bookmarks and come join me for some crafting fun.

Friday, January 23, 2009

So I Watched History Unfold...

...and I can say I was there when.

I was there when everyone was talking about the race, the ca
mpaigns, and their candidates. When we were debating who should win and why. When support for the policies of one or the other changed almost daily.

I was there when the ballots were being cast. When the polls were open for early voting and there was nowhere to park at the library. When my friends and family sat around discussing the merits of absentee voting versus standing in line for hours.

I was there when the polls closed, and the counting began in earnest. When my classmates and I were on pins and needles waiting for our test to be over, so we could check our computers and phones to find out who was in the lead. When we all realised that the cafeteria was open late and hosting an election party, so we could all keep abreast of the latest development. When my mom got that call from me screaming "Barack Obama just won the election". When she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes (different time zone) and finally understood what I was saying.

I was there when the most moving concession speech ever spoken was delivered by the always classy John McCain. When an amazing orator gave his acceptance by looking to the future and not condemning the actions of current and past administrations. When two strong, courageous men brought tears to my eyes with the words they spoke.

I was there when the forty-fourth President of the United States of America took his oath and was sworn in to the highest office in the land. When a group of workers crowded around a tiny computer screen to view and hear him speak during his inauguration. When 2 million strong braved the bracing winter winds to witness history in the making.


Photo credit: Master Sgt. Cecilio Ricardo, U.S. Air Force
Scrapkit credit: Scrap n' Art Freebie Friday digikit created by Louise Williams of Digital Fingers
Quote from inaugural speech delivered by President Obama on January 20, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment